Many of you may have thinking Mark Zuckerberg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg) have just got Facebook but you’re wrong here. He’s is an business tycoon as well as a very humble person and didn’t stop just with the FB. Here we’re going to tell you the web products & applications Facebook Inc. has acquired and list is not that small.
Here we’ve collected some data after the many days of research and we hope you may like and share this knowledge among your friends. So let’s get started without wasting any time.
- 1 1: Facebook Inc. – facebook.com
- 2 2: FriendFeed – friendfeed.com
- 3 3: Nextstop – nextstop.com
- 4 4: Hot Potato – hotpotato.com
- 5 5: Drop.io – drop.io
- 6 6: Friend.ly – friend.ly
- 7 7: Instagram – instagram.com
- 8 8: Lightbox.com – lightbox.com
- 9 9: Karma – getkarma.com
- 10 10: Face.com – face.com
- 11 11: Jibbigo – Jibbigo.com
- 12 12: Branch – Branch.com
- 13 13: WhatsApp – Whatsapp.com
1: Facebook Inc. – facebook.com
- We don’t think we’ve to tell you anything about this Giant Social Networking site. But let us just tell you little about the money Mark Zuckerberg is killing which makes him 5th richest person in the world. According to the Forbes Magazine , Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s fortune is worth 72.7 billion which makes him world’s 5th wealthy person.
2: FriendFeed – friendfeed.com
- FRIENDFEED.COM was officially shut down on April 9, 2015 (You can find more details here: http://blog.friendfeed.com). FriendFeed was a constant bolster aggregator that merged updates from web-based social networking and interpersonal interaction sites, social bookmarking sites, online journals and microblogging refreshes, and in addition any sort of RSS/Atom sustain.
3: Nextstop – nextstop.com
- Nextstop was a brilliant startup which launched back early in 2009, blends social proposals with hunt and includes a notoriety framework and components of gameplay. The Nextstop team confirmed the shutdown of all their products but they didn’t close the terms and deals.
4: Hot Potato – hotpotato.com
- This is the another web based application acquired and shut down by the Facebook Inc. Hot Potato was it first kind of Social Service and Check-in service provider which was later added to the facebook. The deal between Hot Potato and Facebook was made of $10 Millions in cash.
“This wasn’t an easy decision, especially since we’ve built up a base of dedicated users. If Hot Potato was going to sell to anyone, Facebook was the natural choice. Facebook is still small, moves fast, provides a great supportive environment for people to be entrepreneurial, and most importantly, Facebook builds great products. We’re looking forward to joining their team.”
5: Drop.io – drop.io
- drop.io use to be the online file sharing service which later acquired by the Facebook Inc. drop.io allow their users to create the “drops”, which could contain any kind of files and any type, and can accessed via the internet, e-mail, phone, fax, and widgets. From the Drop.io blog:
Today, we’re proud to announce that we’ve struck a deal with Facebook. What this means is that Facebook has bought most of drop.io’s technology and assets, and Sam Lessin is moving to Facebook.
In the coming weeks, we’ll be winding down the drop.io service. As of this week, people will no longer be able to create new free drops, but you’ll be able to download content from existing drops until Dec. 15. Paid user accounts will still be available through Dec. 15 and paid users will be able to continue using the service normally. After Dec. 15, paid accounts will be discontinued as well.”
6: Friend.ly – friend.ly
- This social Q&A service was also acquired by the Facebook Inc. the amount of the deal isn’t disclose from both participants. You can find the the detail of the deal in the blog post given below.
We’re excited to announce that we recently acquired friend.ly, a Silicon Valley startup that created a really compelling way for people to express themselves and meet others through answering questions. We’ve admired the team’s efforts for some time now, and we’re looking forward to having Ed and his colleagues make a big impact on the way millions of people connect and engage with each other on Facebook.
7: Instagram – instagram.com
- The $1 billion Instagram acquisition was one of the biggest industry news of the year April 2012. Within the 2 months of the launch in 2010, Instagram got1 Million registered uses. That was extremely subject of concern for the facebook and within 2 years it has become the 2nd popular social networking sites. April 2012 blog post is still live on their blog, you can find it here: http://blog.instagram.com/post/20785013897/instagram-facebook
Today, we couldn’t be happier to announce that Instagram has agreed to be acquired by Facebook.
Every day that passes, we see more experiences being shared through Instagram in ways that we never thought possible. It’s because of our dedicated and talented team that we’ve gotten this far, and with the support and cross-pollination of ideas and talent at a place like Facebook, we hope to create an even more exciting future for Instagram and Facebook alike.
It’s important to be clear that Instagram is not going away. We’ll be working with Facebook to evolve Instagram and build the network. We’ll continue to add new features to the product and find new ways to create a better mobile photos experience.
The Instagram app will still be the same one you know and love. You’ll still have all the same people you follow and that follow you.You’ll still be able to share to other social networks. And you’ll still have all the other features that make the app so fun and unique.
8: Lightbox.com – lightbox.com
- From the June 2015 lightbox was discontinued after they team up with the Facebook. Lightbox was the online application, Android app, and the photo blogging platform that give users authority to post images, text, links, and more to their personal photo blog.
9: Karma – getkarma.com
- Here’s now second large acquisition facebook has made. Karma was the mobile commerce startup, which makes apps for gifting friends and family. The terms of the deal aren’t made public but 16 employees of the karma will join the Facebook. The Blog Post of Karma stated itself about the acquisition, here you can find the complete blog post: http://blog.getkarma.com/post/23305446792/karma-is-moving-to-facebook-why-social-gifting-is
10: Face.com – face.com
- You may have see and experience the Facebook face recognition technology but very few of you may know this tech was taken from the face.com. The tel-aviv based company face.com has developed platform to detect the uploaded image of any individual. Facebook own this technology and the acquired the Face.com with the deal between $55-$60 million.
11: Jibbigo – Jibbigo.com
- Have you seen the Translation option over your post on facebook news feed ? If so you might just know FB have added this feature but you may not aware from the mind behind this technology. The speech recognition and machine translation app was developed by them and later acquired by the Facebook Inc.
12: Branch – Branch.com
- This $15 million deal between Branch and Facebook made so much gossips between the tech crunches. The link sharing and conversation platform Branch allow users to host conversations and share the conversation link with anyone.
13: WhatsApp – Whatsapp.com
- Now it’s time for the $21.8 billion deal between the whatsapp and facebook. As we all know about the real-time social communication ad-free app Whatsapp has gain the popularity among the Mobile users within very short time period. WhatsApp is by a long shot Facebook’s biggest procurement and one of the greatest Silicon Valley has ever observed. It is more than 20 times bigger than Facebook’s Instagram obtaining, which made a remarkable sprinkle in 2012.
That’s the all folks and the list is not over yet. Facebook Inc. has acquired many small and big application but since they’re non-released deals we’re unable to provide you the information. I hope we’ve provided you the good information already and we expect you to share this post on your Social media accounts and don’t forget to leave your feedback on the comment section.